Thursday, October 15, 2009

How do you do that!

OK, S this one’s for you. I have been asked how on earth do I feed four people on $50 a week. Well, there’s actually nothing to it. I spend about half on meat items that are on sale and the other half on sides and other necessary extras. Seriously, there’s no big scientific method, just watching those weekly circulars in the paper and planning accordingly. Right now I have two huge Boston Butt Roasts in the freezer that I purchased a couple of weeks ago at a Benny’s Supermarket. They were having a sale and I went there specifically for that item.

Here’s another idea that works: I wait until boneless skinless chicken breasts go on sale and buy a case, that will cost a big chunk up front but I don’t have to buy chicken breasts for about 2 months. We eat chicken breasts in some form or fashion at least once or twice a week so I save lots of money like this. Also, remember if you have small children they can’t eat a whole chicken breast unless that’s the only thing you put in their plate and then that’s probably stretching it! Once I buy the case of chicken, I clean off any excess fat if necessary, and freeze them three to a bag in vacuum seal bags. I only put three to a bag because my 7 and 3-year-old girls share one. The vacuum seal bags allow me to keep meat in the freezer a really long time, so that’s an investment I will never regret!

Another thing to remember is that you really don’t need meat with every meal. Yes, I said it. Here’s an idea my family enjoys. S, you will love this. For those of us that need to watch our waistline as well as our budget, Weight Watchers has a really great spaghetti sauce recipe. I usually double it and we have leftovers or I freeze the extra. I serve it over wheat spaghetti (you can use whatever pasta you prefer!) with a salad (and if I have a few extra points…bread sticks).

I know, you probably think some of this is crazy, but it works in this house, it works in homes like ours that give this strategy a try, and I know it could work for you. If you just don’t know where to start, call me, and I will gladly give you a hand getting started. You know, it works so well, that this stay-at-home-mom even has a little extra left over to get her nails done twice a month! Hail to my Nail Girl!

1 comment:

  1. Wow...you make it sound so easy, I don't know why I couldn't think of some of that myself. By the way, I agree... getting your nails done is a PERFECT reward for being as smart as you! Thanks for the helpful info and I know I speak on behalf of other busy moms when I say...waiting on more!

    ReplyDelete